Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

A bad run.

I should know better by now than to think that each time I head out the door for a run it will be faster, longer and more gratifying than the one before.  Welp, not true.

This weekend I planned to do an 8 mile run on Saturday.  As soon as I woke up, I knew it wasn't going to be a good "running day".  I was still exhausted from the week, and I flat out just wasn't feeling it.  Still, I dressed up, and decided I better do SOMETHING or else I'd really be screwed for the 10-mile race I have planned next weekend, and the 1/2 planned for the weekend following.

After running some errands (to Ulta- woot! woot!), I just parked at a Walgreens and decided to get my butt out there and start going.  Goal: 4 miles.  It was a route I knew, but hadn't run in about 4 years.  After one mile, I was dead, but for some reason was maintaining a 9:45 pace.  I managed the second mile because it was down hill, about died on the 3rd mile, and decided to walk for a few minutes.  I ran the final mile back to my car and felt so defeated.  I know 4 miles is good... but it wasn't good for me, especially at this point in training.

In an attempt to make myself feel better, I came up with a million excuses as to why it wasn't a good run. I even googled "bad run during 1/2 marathon training" in hopes that the Internet would tell me I could still run a good distance.  haha.

So, why do I write about this? Well, for one, I'm hoping that it will help ME remember that it's not always easy peasy.  And for two, maybe some of you (hi the 5 of you who read this! :) have experienced the same thing, and have also thought about giving up at this point.

For good measure, I woke up Sunday and decided to give it another whirl.  I didn't go 8 miles, but I did go 6 with little to no problems (other than dying of thirst).  So, I'm sure I'll be fine for the next two weekends.  And really, what's the wost that can happen? Maybe I walk? Maybe I don't get a PR? I'll still finish.

Whew.  Didn't know I had so much to say about this.  If you're still reading, thanks :) I'm going to attempt to catch up on some blogging this week.

Hope your week is great!

1 comment:

  1. Ughh Meaghan I feel you on this one! I've been contemplating whether or not I actually want to run Rock the Parkway (even though I've already signed up). I hurt my knee a little while ago, and then my quad was killing me so I've been having one bad run after another...and I've only done one long-ish run (9 miles) that was pure torture haha. I'm hoping to pull out 11 miles this weekend (and actually feel good), but I think you've motivated me to run no matter what. Seriously the worst that can happen is we walk for a little bit or are a little slower than we wanted to be, but at least we can say we did it!

    ReplyDelete