Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY Map

Finally found some time (and motivation!) to finish this map project that I have been wanting to do for quite some time now.  I found the vintage style map at Office Depot of all places for $7.99.  The map is 32'' by 50''.  I thought for sure I could find a frame in that size.......

Turns out I don't have hundreds of dollars for a custom frame, so I came up with a new plan.  I wanted to be able to use push pins in the final product, so I thought cork board would be good.  Again, not found.  I found some foam board at the craft store that I could cut down to size, but again, it was like 20 bucks!  I headed to Home Depot.  I found a HUGE piece of foam board (insulation?) for $11, and they cut it right there for me- score.

The board was purple, and since I didn't see a frame in the near future, I decided to just paint the edges brown.  Lucky for me, I had some helpers!  

After the paint dried, I used spray adhesive to spray it to the board.  Easy, and done!  I hung it on the wall with command strips since it was so light.  For the push pins, I found some bottle caps at Hobby lobby and glued flat pushpins to the backs.  I'm happy with the results!





-m

3 comments:

  1. Meg I love it! Good work my dear :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have always wanted to do something similar, just haven't gotten to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Rick loves maps and I have two vintage ones I've found at yard sales and had no idea what to do with. This would be perf! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete