Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Some (rambling) Thoughts on Running.

Advice I've heard before but didn't believe until now.

I've always admired those people who could run forever and ever.  I thought it was one of those things you either had or you didn't.  I looked at them as I drove by thinking "wow, didn't I just see him?, and now he's already at the end of the street? I couldn't run to the end of the block!"... 

I've run before, and it does get easier.  I ran a 10K about 3 years ago that kicked my butt.  I worked so so so so so hard to run 2 miles, and could do that consistently for about 6 months.  Then, I quit.  It got too hot, I was too busy... blah blah blah.  

Then, last spring I got a running buddy.  Wow, did that help! She pushed me, it was FUN, we could TALK, we got to go outside... and we got up to running 5 miles! I was so proud of that 5 mile mark.  Then, I quit.  Although, not totally quit, but mostly quit.  I would run for about 30 minutes, walk if I needed, but not really pushing myself. 

Then, I made a new year's resolution.  The thing is, it wasn't about running.  I made a resolution to get healthy.  The most drastic change being a mindset of "clean eating" and "clean living".  My husband bought me new shoes for Christmas, and I started up again.  No goal in mind, just to RUN.  It wasn't about losing weight, or crossing a finish line.  Luckily, it has been an extremely mild winter/spring, so I was able to run outside.  I started out with short, easy runs, and just kept building up.  Not motivated by distance at first, but just wanting more of a challenge, just pushing myself further.  I made it up to 3 miles, then 4, then I started getting more confidence.  I signed up for a 10 mile race and finished.  Then, two weeks later, I ran 14 miles on my own.  I would love to do an official 1/2 marathon, but more than anything, I want to NOT quit.  I've maintained about a 7-8 mile long run almost each week, and have improved my time lately due to the mapmyrun update! (There's a nice, and sometimes rude, lady that interrupts your run to tell you your pace, distance, etc.)  

Anyways, that's a lot of rambling--mostly to remind myself why I shouldn't quit whenever that feeling hits me again. I'll bookmark this post, read it, and hopefully lace back up my shoes!  Below are some of my revelations regarding this whole running nonsense:

It's not about a number (distance, time, weight), it's about a feeling.

  • "Trap" Yourself.  This little game I play with myself forces me to run long distances.  You see, I have my husband drive me far, far away, and then the only way to get home is to run, or walk, or crawl.  It takes away the running in a circle, or to a "turn-around" half-way point that is so boring, and way too tempting to cheat.
  • Don't walk the hills.  If you have to walk, wait until a decline, and most often, you won't feel like walking.
  • Get the gear.  My armband, capris, tank, shoes, and socks are all comfy!
  • Run in the rain.  It's so much better than the heat, and there's no one else out there!
  • Don't wait for the perfect time, just go.  I used to think if I ate something, or it was too hot, or too cold, I  should put it off another day.  It's never as bad as it sounds. Well, not usually.
  • On the same note, if you feel like running, RUN; the feeling won't last.
  • Some runs just suck.
  • Treadmills suck.
  • Night showers. Sounds crazy, but figuring out how to make my crazy mane manageable with a night shower saves so much time! I don't go to bed sweaty, and still only have one shower per day.  TMI? Sorry.
  • Get some good tunes.
  • MapMyRun.
I'm by all means, not an expert runner.  I still honestly don't even feel like I can call myself a "runner". Please feel free to share your own "tips" that help keep yourself motivated! 
-m 


1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of and impressed by you! I wish I was still back there in Kansas running right next to you... :) I miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete