Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tomato-Basil Pesto Grilled Panini

We recently had J's parent's over for lunch and I decided I wanted to try and make a "Panera-ish" lunch.  I love everything from Panera, soup, salad and sandwhiches.  I headed to the store to see what inspired me.  This is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
sourdough bread
sharp cheddar cheese
muenster cheese (new love!)
bacon
2 tomatoes
fresh basil
smoked deli turkey
sundried tomato basil pesto
olive oil
garlic (minced)
Guilty as charged.  That is, in fact, a paint sponge you see. I don't own a kitchen brush.  I swear to you it's brand spankin new.  I think I like it better than a brush anyway.... am I overcompesating?

I mixed a couple tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic and spread it on one side of a slice of sourdough then placed it on the skilliet.  I spread about a tablespoon of pesto on the opposite side, then topped that with either cheeses, basil, bacon, a slice of turkey and another slice of bread.

The result was a crispy, fresh twist on the classic grilled cheese!  We enjoyed this with a cup, or shall I say can :), of tomato basil bisque soup (Campbell's best.)

I'm sad that I forgot to take final photos! They were all eaten up by the time I remebered.  YUM!
-m

1 comment:

  1. that sounds incredibly tasty! minus the tomatoes for me, but whatever :o).

    ReplyDelete