Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Check!

My new shoes got broken in.

I completed a 5K over the weekend with a good friend (shout out to AB!) and it felt so good to accomplish our goal.  We have been working out conisitently since the beginning of the school year, and had always toyed with the idea of training for a 5K.  We started by doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred (also a killer workout!) and finally couldn't stand the same workout everyday, so we started running through the halls after school (to avoid the freezing temps outside).

We decided on the 5K last weekend about 5 weeks before it took place, and then actually started seriously working toward our goal about 3 weeks before the race.  I'm so surprised that we were able to make our goals in such short time: 1. Don't walk. 2. Don't be last.

Honestly, I felt relieved that we did, but mostly inspired to keep running.  I NEVER thought I would say that.  I used to hate running (i.e. up until about 2 weeks ago).  I'm definitely not to the point where I could say I enjoy the run, but I enjoy the fact that I'm improving and that I can run more than I could before.  The first week of intense training was killer.  But it felt so good to push my body further than I ever had in the past.

I know that I could not of accomplished this without the support of my running partner!  She's one tough cookie, and continues to motivate me! Plus, it's fun to socialize after school and get my mind off school for a bit before my trek home.

My BFF, thedomesticwannabe, has been on a health kick the past couple of months that has also inspired me!  She got me into the app "iMapMyRun", which totally helps me stay motivated.  I love being able to see the numbers of each run- time, distance, speed, etc.  I will be joining her for a Mother's Day 5K this weekend, and I'm so excited that we'll be able to do this together.  Now we can add running to our list of things to do together (let's keep this up girl!).  So now it's basically wine, crafts, dance.... and run.  Not quite in that order :)

We signed up for our next race, an 8K on Memorial Day.  I'm excited about the new challenge.
-m

4 comments:

  1. yah! I haven't worked out in nearly 3 years (besides yoga) and went for a 2 mile run tonight and although I got a side ache I must say, it felt great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! An 8K? You might have to give me the details :o).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Proud of you Babe:) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete