Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

2014 Resolutions.

Writing your New Year's resolutions in January is not considered late, right?  (Still have a Christmas post to get up here, too... with time...)

2013 was quite the year! My resolutions last year were quite vague, and therefore difficult to measure. I started to think about making a resolution for 2014 (after January 1, mind you), and couldn't quite decide how I wanted them to look.  One benefit of getting this post up so late is that I've been able to take inspiration from other bloggers and their lists, and have stolen some of their ideas.

The Lettered Cottage chose a "word of 2014".  I spent some time thinking about what my "word" would be and BALANCE seems to sum up my goals for this stage of life.  As I begin my life as a mother, I want to be sure that I don't ignore other aspects of my life.  Not only am I a mother, but I am a wife, sister, daughter, friend, teacher, runner (well, I hope I still can run!), and more.  In one word, 2014, I hope to find BALANCE.

Randi wrote this post, which provided a fairly easy prompt for some good goals.

A bad habit I'm going to break:
Checking my phone constantly.  When I'm working, my phone is turned off.  That's 7am until about 4pm.  Now that I am home for a few weeks, I find myself constantly checking... the time, my email, facebook, instagram, texting.  It's gotta stop! I'll need to put it in the other room and only look at it when it DINGS to tell me I have a message.  

A new skill I'd like to learn:
Hm... I feel like I have a LOT to learn about being a mom, and a lot to re-learn about how to be me and a mom.  See above :)

A person I hope to be more like:
I'm copying Randi here, but my husband.  He's great about making everyone feel comfortable and is always up for a good laugh.  He takes life one step at a time and is incredibly loving.

A good deed I'm going to do:
People have been so thoughtful and kind to me and my family throughout my pregnancy (so many wonderful showers!) and since Lucas has been born (dinners and visits and gifts galore!).  I hope to reciprocate that same kindness in some way another to each of those individuals and families this year.  

A place I'd like to visit:

We've briefly talked about taking a vacation to the east coast this summer with friends.  I would love that! We're also toying with the idea of hitting the slopes next fall. 

A book I'd like to read:
Sad to admit, I don't read very often.  Suggestions please?!
 A letter I'm going to write:
Not really a letter, but I am hoping to complete 12 months of updates on Lucas, with weekly pictures!
  
A new food I'd like to try:

Going off track a little here, too, but I'd like to eat "clean" at least breakfast and lunch 5 days each week.  I feel so much better when I stick to good, healthy food!

I'm going to do better at:

Not procrastinating.  If I think of something I need to do, and I have time to do it, I should just do it! Right then.  I know there are times when I can sit around and wait, but I think it would ease my mind in the end if I did more rather than worrying about doing more :)

The following is a somewhat random list (shock!) of other things I'd like to accomplish throughout the next 12 months:

1. Organize and store all photos
2. Unsubscribe from spam emails, blogs I don't read

3. Donate unused clothes and housewares to Goodwill
4. Run 5k (Mother's Day), 8k (Memorial Day) 10k (Fourth of July), 1/2 marathon (Fall)
5. Incorporate strength training weekly
6. Complete a summer bucket list
7. Call far away friends at least 1/week
8. Host a dinner party

No comments:

Post a Comment