Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The hunt for a good garage sale.

Can you guys believe it is already May?! I came across this post on Story of My Life a while back. Although I'm already a day late (what's new?!), I'm going to attempt the blog every day day in May challenge she has posted. 


I haven't felt particularly inspired as far as posts come lately, so the scripted days seemed like a good practice. Lets hope I can keep it up! Anyone want to join in? The directions and post topics are all listed here.

So here we go...

Day 2, Thursday: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at. Take any approach you'd like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)

Now, this so called "skill" mostly boils down to some good luck, a little planning and a lot of patience. That is, garage sales. I've been going to garage sales going on 4 years now, and you'd think I'd have enough used junk to last me forever. 

The thing is, the more you go, the more you find, and therefore the more exciting it is to go back out on the hunt! I've found the most random things from supplies and posters for my classroom and my favorite brand new curling iron and hairspray to practically all the furniture in my house. The best part? You never really know what you're going to find. The worst part? Sometimes you find nothing.

So, some tips.
1. Plan your route. Craigslist is a great resource, especially if you're looking for something specific. Don't waste your morning wandering.
2. Go to your most promising ads first. Early bird gets the worm!
3. Neighborhood sales are the jackpot!
4. Don't buy something just because its a good deal, make sure you'll actually use it.
5. Don't buy something unless its a good deal. You can always buy it new!
6. Bring yo bills. Not the big ones.
7. Don't be afraid to offer less than its priced, they could always say no.
8. Greet the sale owner when you walk up. I don't know, it's just weird not to if you're looking through all their stuff, right?
9. Don't get get discouraged when you don't find what you're looking for. It takes time! Also, don't be afraid to put a little love into something that is a little beat up if you can picture it's potential.
10. Have fun! (Duh.)


Enjoy,
-m


No comments:

Post a Comment