Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Afraid.

Friday, September 6thA story about a time you were very afraid.

I'm a worrier.  I worry about anything and everything, to a fault. I worry I'll be late, or that I forgot something at home, or that the door might be unlocked.  But afraid? That's a different category. 

This story sticks out in my mind and I remember being afraid.

I was just starting my first teaching position. My apartment wasn't available for about 6 weeks so I was staying with my cousin for that time. He had a beautiful house on the cutest street. I had my own bedroom and even a spot in the garage. 

There was only one night where I was there alone. I was in bed at about 8:30pm (typical), when I heard something. It was as if someone was trying to get in the front door. My heart sank, and I froze. Why would someone be trying to open the door? Shouldn't they ring the doorbell? Is someone supposed to be here? I didn't move.

It stopped. I sat still. Thinking. Do I lock myself in here? Or try to get out? Am I hearing things? Maybe I'm just psyching myself out.

A few moments later I heard the same noise, but from the back door. I grabbed my phone, my keys, and a robe. Skipped shoes, purse, etc. I went to the garage, got in my car, locked the doors, opened the garage and pulled out of the garage. I was so scared. I shut the garage and started driving to my parent's house, which was 40 minutes away. As I drove away I saw 3 dark figures running through the street.

I still haven't convinced myself that all of this really happened. It almost feels surreal, which honestly, is fine with me. I would like to think that this was all in my mind because I was afraid of staying alone. I stayed the night with mom and dad then got up early enough to drive the hour plus to my job. 

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment