Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

That moment when your life takes a turn.

Tuesday, September 10th: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

July 2012.

I've talked about this moment before. J and I were living in our first home, both satisfied with our jobs as teacher and graduate student. On somewhat of a whim, I applied for a job in a different city. I didn't know what I was doing, or why, but it felt right. I called my go-to girlfriend for advice, and decided to go for it. What's the. Worst that could happen anyways?!

About two weeks went by. I was called for an interview. Another week went by and I'm called back for another interview, but at a different school. I'm feeling optimistic, but reluctant and confused. I visited my parents moments after the interview and that is the moment it all changed. They had just come from the doctors office, and the news was not good. It appeared my mom had colon cancer. I froze. 

It wasn't for certain, but "probable". Not good. Within one week we decided to change our plans- move jobs, move cities, sell our house and move in with my mom and dad.  

I still can't believe that was all just a year ago. After months of tests and surgeries, my mom was finally pronounced cancer free. I have no idea why it took the doctors so long to give our family that tremendously awesome news, but we were so grateful to get it. In late February, our house sold, and we were able to move out on our own again at the beginning of May. Just in time to start nesting for our new addition. 

It was a whirlwind. It was unplanned. It was difficult, stressful and messy. It was all worth it. And I believe it was all meant to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment